My daughter has been super into her mozzarella cheese sticks as of late, so with Halloween coming up, I thought I’d make her Mummy Mini Pizzas with her favorite cheese! There are multiple versions of this halloween food, but this happens to be (in my opinion) one of the easiest!
- English Muffins
- Pasta or Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks OR Rough Cut Shredded Mozzarella
MUMMY MINI PIZZAS
I started by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and lining my pans with foil because who needs extra clean up work if you don’t have to! Next, I sliced the english muffins in half and placed on the baking sheet. I then unwrapped the cheese sticks and sliced them into long strips, varying the angles and thickness slightly on each cut.
With a small spoon, I ladled out a small amount of pasta sauce on each muffin, bringing it all the way to the rim. You can use true pizza sauce here if you’d like, I just used pasta sauce because 1) I can’t tell much of difference and 2) it’s what I had on hand ha! Then simply drape your cheese strips in a random pattern across the muffins, leaving a little space towards the top one-third for the eyes. My recommendation here is to leave adequate spacing between your strips. Remember that the cheese will expand as it melts and you still want to see that little bit of red pasta/pizza sauce in between strips to give it that wrapped mummy look.
Finally you add the two olives for the eyes and you’re ready to put in the oven. Baking time will vary based on the thickness of your cheese strips, the amount of pizzas you are cooking, and personal preference. My first batch were done in under 10 minutes because I was only cooking three. Had I been cooking more at one time, I could have probably done closer to 10-15 minutes.
And there you have it – mummy mini pizzas! A great, easy Halloween themed lunch or dinner. I hope you enjoy making these with your kiddos. Although mine was too young to help make it, that didn’t stop her from enjoying eating them all the same!!
- English Muffins
- Pizza or Pasta Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Wilton Candied Eye Balls (Optional)
- Prepare: Line baking sheet with parchment paper, foil, or spray with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut: use knife to neatly cut english muffins in half and place on baking sheet. Take mozzarella cheese sticks out of package and slice into long, varied thickness strips.
- Spoon: spoon pasta/pizza sauce onto english muffins, covering to the rim.
- Place: place strings of mozzarella cheese across english muffin, leaving a little room at the top for eyes. Place two olives for the eyes.
- Bake: place baking sheet with mummies in over for approx. 10 minutes, or until mozzarella is fully melted.
- *Optional: once baked and cooled, place eye balls inside the olives before serving.
NOTES & TIPS
* If you don't want to cut up cheese, your next best option is the rustic cut mozzarella cheese. It's cut thicker and longer than standard shredded mozzarella cheese.
* Leave enough room between strips of cheese - cheese will expand in oven and you want a little red sauce to be peaking through.